microwave oven

Most of us have been hearing for years how bad microwaves are, right?  They do crazy things like change the cellular structure of the food we eat and add things to our bloodstream that should not be there.  Here is a link that will give you details on what microwaving is doing to our food and most important, to our bodies.

I’m going to tell you how I, very easily, got rid of my microwave oven a year or two ago.  I used it alot.  But, believe me, getting rid of it was a surprisingly painless process.

Move It

I couldn’t bring myself to throw it out before I knew if I could live without it or not.  So I just moved it to the basement for a trial run.


Then, I bought these two pans.  Cast iron and small pan

My husband had been wanting a cast iron pan for quite a while.  I never understood why they were so great.  They just looked heavy to me.  I got it for him for Christmas.  And then I learned to love it.  It never moves from the top of our stove now.  We have lots of leftovers that need to be re-heated which is one big reason I used my microwave.  Now I reheat them in this pan. Here is some leftover pasta that I had for lunch.

Leftover pasta

I might put a little oil or water in the pan depending on what the food is, stir it around for a couple of minutes and it’s done.  Here is some leftover rice.

Leftover rice

Cleaning the cast iron is the best part. Just use hot water, no soap. Cleans VERY easily. If I have a larger amount of food to reheat, I put it in a ceramic dish with a lid and throw it in the over for a while.  Really no big deal.

Melting Butter

This was another reason I used the microwave often.  So I bought two of these small pans for melting butter (and other things.) butter

I got them at Ross for $7 each.  I use them all the time.  Again, they are very easy to clean.

Toaster Oven

For a long time I had a toaster oven on my counter and that really helped me mentally when I got rid of the microwave.  I do recommend it if you feel it would help you, but finally I got sick of the clutter and thought, I’ve got this other oven here.   I just need to be using it for everything.  So….out went the toaster oven.  It was a simplify issue.  Now, I use a regular toaster, when I need one, that lives in a cabinet under the counter.

Easy For Children

(But train them and watch them!)  Here is Meg using the cast iron skillet.  She was 7 (now 8) when this picture was taken.

Meg cooking

I Promise, I Never Miss The Microwave

After taking that microwave to the basement, I never had a second thought, which really did surprise me.  There was, maybe, a very short adjustment period (a few days to a week max.)  I think about a month or two later, I tossed it out.  I didn’t want to be responsible for someone else getting sick because they bought my microwave oven at the thrift shop : )

The Worst Thing That Can Happen

Try it ladies.  The worst thing that can happen is you won’t like this plan and you can put it back in your kitchen after a trial period.

Below is part of the article from the link above to give you a little taste of what it says.

Ten Reasons to Throw out your Microwave Oven

From the conclusions of the Swiss, Russian and German scientific clinical studies, we can no longer ignore the microwave oven sitting in our kitchens. Based on this research, we will conclude this article with the following:

1). Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term – permanent – brain damage by “shorting out” electrical impulses in the brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue].

2). The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in microwaved food.

3). Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating microwaved foods.

4). The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual [long term, permanent] within the human body.

5). Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.

6). The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals when cooked in microwave ovens.

7). Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths [tumors]. This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in America.

8). The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.

9). Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.

10). Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence.

God Bless You And Your Healthy Kitchens!


  1. kate says:

    I would just consider what “tossing it out” means. There are chemical contaminants to consider when placed in the landfill. I’d encourage readers to call their recycing center before just placing out by the curb.

  2. Allison says:

    Kate – Thanks for bringing that up. Last time I was at the dump with hubby, I noticed right by the office area a stack of appliance type things, next to a bunch of paint cans. So I’m thinking you can take them, but they have to go in a certain area. But maybe each city is different. Good idea to make a phone call. Thanks again.

  3. Kellie says:

    I soooo want to get rid of my microwave. Unfortunately, we have one that is above the range, so it would not be an easy task to just get rid of it. I use it much less now, but I tend to get lazy with the melting butter thing (I know, it takes just a short time). I should get one of those little pans.

    Thanks for visiting my blog — I think I’ll be checking yours out some more too. : )

  4. Corie DeVries says:

    We have an above the range microwave, too. I only put it in when we built the house because I knew we would sell in a few years, and the new owners would likely want a microwave. I never use it. I have also read that microwaving food basically wears out your immune system, because it is constantly trying to figure out what to do with microwaved food that it does not recognize as food!

    Tip: Use coconut oil in place of butter when you can. It melts VERY quickly on the stove!

  5. Kristen H says:

    Wow, I’ve never heard this!

  6. Ladonna says:

    I got rid of mine several years ago. Mine moved off the counter onto the floor and then, out to the shop. My dh doesn’t throw anything away, so it went to a man who wanted it and planned to buy one anyway. We did try to talk him out of it, but he was determined to have one, no matter what we said.

    My four young adult children, 16-25, all know how to cook on top the stove in pans, in the crockpot, on the grill and in the oven now.

    I think one of mine will rebel and have a microwave anyway, but I think the others believe my microwave tales!

  7. Allison says:

    I understand about the microwave above the range. I have a trash compactor that just sits there taking up space. I dont like to use it cause its just something else that has the potential to break down AND I dont want to buy special bags for crying out loud! By the way, this is silly, but I love my little pans. Sorry it took me so long to respond. Slipped through the cracks! Godspeed!

  8. Allison says:

    So true on the coconut oil. Probably more often than not, I will spoon the coconut oil into a container and let it sit in a warm place while Im getting other stuff together and its likely it is melted by the time I need it. Yeah for coconut oil!

  9. I’m more encouraged now than before that we need to just get rid of it. We’ve only kept it on our kitchen counter this long because it belongs to the owners of our house (we’re renting).

    We converted to not using a microwave for most of our stuff several years ago. It’s been a slow process, but we rarely use our microwave at all now. It sits on the counter unplugged; just taking up space.

    You’ve encouraged me! Thanks!

  10. […] – put a yummy dinner on the table every night without any of these newfangled gadgets. Some people claim that even a microwave is […]

  11. Katie says:

    I did the same exact thing! Only mine is still sitting in my basement. I should probably get rid of it now since it has been down there for about two years now! We haven’t looked back or missed it one bit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *